Sunday, June 22, 2008

Is the day over yet?

What a day! Liam is in full blown teething mode. His appetite is off, his naps are off, his diapers are off (to put it nicely), his mood is off, and in general, he is just "off". I feel badly for the little guy; he chews on his fingers non-stop, gags and throws up when he eats certain solids, and he's extra cuddly (I love that part). It was a long stressful day, full of tears (almost for both of us), vomit, and attempts at poops. Whoever says teething is easy for their children, can they explain what medication they were taking at the time? My goodness! I have been using camilia, the homeopathic medicine, on him, which has great results. I usually do not put faith in natural treatment, but I am definitely reconsidering usage of it.

Picked up my prescription at Safeway today for my injections. Knock on wood, they are working. I may be battling the start of another bladder infection, but otherwise, I have been feeling amazing. I do contribute part of this, of course, to healthier eating, walking, and nice weather. The weather definitely has played a huge part with my MS; mostly with my moods, which indirectly, but almost directly affect my MS. It is such a strange and frustrating disease. I have been doing alot of research, and there are various new treatments that have been approved, and that will be approved in the future. I definitely know that a healthy diet and exercise are definitely beneficial, as it is an auto-immune disease. A healthy lifestyle is also necessary when on the injections that I take. The major side effect of the injection is a reduced immune system; something that makes me a little worried, but I do my best to stay well. And ever since I have had Liam, it seems to have improved. My last MRI showed no change in a 4 year period, which is exceptional. It did show, however, that I have a herniated disc in my upper spine--not related to MS, but it does explain the issues I have on a regular basis with my back.

The way that I tend to look at it--everything happens for a reason. It has given me inner strength, helped me learn alot about myself and what I can do, and that this is a learning experience. It feels like a test, and lately, I have been definitely passing with flying colors. It has been a very rough road, with alot of detours and bumps, but I have made it... When they first diagnosed me, I was young, naive and devastated. I have grown as an individual greatly since then, and have gained such strength and knowledge through all of this. I have definitely had alot of support along the way, especially my parents. My mom can probably remember emergency room trips, watching me cry out in pain and feeling helpless, and being there every step of the way. It takes alot of understanding and emotional strength for someone to be around someone with MS. Thank you mom, dad, and Andy. Always grateful...

And back to now...I am exhausted. I have a to-do list a mile long, which I am avoiding for tonight. I am drained. I need to book Liam's 9-month check-up tomorrow, for sometime this week. I love our family doctor, I make her job very simple. If I have a problem, I go in, tell her what it is, what meds I need, and she confirms it. She is very thorough, definitely glad mom found her for me.

We are postponing Heritage Park until Andy's holidays in July. Are debating getting passes for there and the zoo, not too sure what we will do. Will definitely go walking tomorrow and hit a park for Liam--he's our little outdoor boy...

Mr. Bob headed back to Toronto today for his radiation treatments. My thoughts are with him through all of this.

Should run, this is turning into a novel! Cheers and good night!

No comments: