Friday, January 9, 2009

Simple Joys

I seem to be stuck on the theory of simplicity lately. I have wholeheartedly decided to make this the year to slow down and enjoy the simple things in life. Sound simple? Yes, I know, lame joke. But it's not. I am personally geared to planning, replanning, and always knowing what is going on. I even call myself anal, I know it's true, trust me. I usually love to be on the go, but lately, I've been enjoying time at home with Liam. The cold weather may have played a part in it, yes, but I am also discovering something. I do not need to be on the go all the time. Home is where the heart is, and the comfort. It is where I can thrive on the simple things. I can do things at a leisurely pace. Accomplish everything on my to-do list, or watch Wonderpets with Liam on the floor until I can recite every episode--am getting there already though.

It is amazing what can be taken for granted. I think that is why I am craving simplicity. Liam has been teething so badly lately, so it has made things around here a little stressful. But I enjoy every minute that I spend with him. Parents are usually the teachers to their children, but that sweet little boy has taught me so many lessons lately. I am constantly learning and growing with him, making me a better person and parent more and more every day.

He has taught me that sleep can be lost, vomit is the new vogue look, and diaper rash cream is an excellent winter moisturizer. I see more of myself in him all time--he does things on his own terms, he likes things to go certain ways and he is stubborn and determined. It is truly amazing how much love can be given to this little person, no matter how trying it can be. Apparently it was his "party time" at midnight last night, and Andy and I were both invited. I couldn't help but laugh. We were all so exhausted, and we had a crazy case of the giggles.

On the serious side though, he has taught me to not take things so seriously. The dishes can wait for awhile. Life will go on. My heart swells when he holds my finger when I am rocking with him or when he was cuddled in bed with me last night. And when he smiles and lights up when I come back from running errands or even downstairs. It is an incredible feeling to be needed that much by one amazing little man. So puke, poop or lack of sleep aside--I wouldn't change it for the world. He keeps me going, makes my heart soar, and is everything in my world.

Had my nice hot bubble bath tonight, finished reading Tuesdays With Morrie - that book is so amazing--everyone should read it. It will definitely encourage and instill the value of simplicity in your life. Definitely motivational and moving. Am curled up on the couch with Andy, watching Diners, Drive In's and Dives - Friday night classic shows and loving it. Made a yummy and healthy Chicken Pot Pie for dinner. There are 2 versions of the recipe, will try the 2nd and post both on my foodie site.

Tomorrow we're going to Toys R' Us to exchange a toy that he already has, then my parents are coming over tomorrow night to pick up all of the Christmas stuff that we got packed away. Might try to get to the chinese market tomorrow or Sunday to pick up a few ingredients for Sunday night supper--am bringing back Sunday night suppers--details will be on the foodie site. Let me know what you think.

Need to get some more photos developed too, as I want to re-do our frames and work on some scrapbooking. Will try to get that done next week hopefully. Should run. Gotta get back to the show. Cheers!

1 comment:

Manders said...

You think you are teaching them, but really, they are teaching you! It is truly amazing how much you love them and how much they love you!! Even with all the bad stuff, life would not be complete without them!!

I am going to bring back getting up early on weekends to have quiet time to myself. That's what I did today, and it was lovely!!