Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Coupons Coupons Coupons

Okay, so the title of this blog doesn't really sum up the events since I last blogged, but it is pretty close. I have been getting more and more into couponing... It is definitely therapeutic, I'll give it that, and rewarding. It keeps me occupied, it helps us save money, and increases my slush fund for savings. Simple.

Since the beginning of March, by using coupons, I have saved $86.51. I managed to save money on grocery items, shower gels, tons of motrin gel caps---$5.00 off a 60 or 72 count bottle? I'll take it! I ended up buying 5 bottles. I made sure to check the expiry dates, and made sure that prior to coupons, the item was already on sale. It has been a successful coupon month, and I can definitely see next month being even better!

Some tricks I have been learning:
  • If you want coupons, ask for them. Write to your favorite companies and request them. They will usually be more than willing to send them out. 
  • If they are printable coupons, print more than one. It sounds simple, but it helped me save $25.00 on Motrin.
  • Costco does not accept coupons, other than their own.
  • Again, be organized. Use envelopes, use an accordian file, keep track of expiry dates, etc.
  • Check with major grocery stores if they accept competitors coupons--some will, and can save you more money in the long run.
  • Keep a running total of how much you save. Write it down on the calendar how much you save at a time. Add it up at the end of the month, and transfer that money into a savings account. You'll be amazed at how it adds up! 
And clip, clip, clip!! Check in-store for coupons, they sometimes have them down aisles right by the product. Grab a few--never the whole stack--and keep them for future use, when that item goes on sale! Sounds silly, but try to look at your flyers as you look at your coupons. Use your coupons on the cheapest price!

Until next time, happy clipping! Our weigh-in is tomorrow afternoon! :)

1 comment:

Manders said...

You have given me great ideas!! I am about to do my rounds on the coupon sites you posted!! So fun!!